April 01, 2015

goodbye March, hello April

March, for me this year like many past, was full of whippy, cold winds, bright but still wintry sunshine, birthday celebrations and a feeling that the seasons are on the tip again to warmer, longer days.

In the garden, the hellebores were in their full glory, it always suprises me how long it takes them to bulk up and fully come out - this is a great thing, they slowly reveal their outrageous loveliness over many weeks, brightening up shady areas and holding out the promise of Spring.





Sadly, they just do not last as a cut flower, although you can float the heads in a shallow dish of water for a few days. Apparantly, they do last a bit longer if you pick them when the seed pods have developed, but by then I think they are past their most breath-taking? Any tips for picking hellebores that I have missed?

The other flowers that bring me most joy in March are cowslips. My parents backgarden in Norfolk is full of wild cowslips that have self seeded from the nearby meadows and field margins, and a few years ago I collected a fistful of seeds and scattered them at the foot of some trees in our garden and I am so very glad I did. They are one of my most favourite flowers, flowering so early and with so much simple charm.






The very first of the white narcissi has flowered too, I couldn't resist bringing the stems indoors to drool over, many many more will be flowereing their heads off in the garden soon, but these first ones always make my heart skip a beat!


My March was also stacked full of making, which always makes me very happy. I have been asked by a gallery to supply some work for a woodland themed exhibition this summer, the perfect excuse to get ridiculously excited about all the beautiful twigs and lichen in my local hedgrows and start using them as a spring board to some new designs. So far, rings and bangles.






Some of these are now available to purchase on my website, have a peep! www.wildacredesigns.co.uk

All in all March looked a bit like this to me, and now the Easter holiday is beckoning and Spring is most definitely in the air, that is really something to celebrate.


14 comments:

  1. Belinda, i actually bought a whole book on hellebores to find out how to keep them in a vase. The answer is to "plunge" the cut stems in almost boiling water. They do last nearly a week if you do it. I don't really know how long. I boiled the water, carried it outside and then put the stems in as I cut them, so some were in a LONG time. Next time, I think i will use two vessels - one hot, and one cold. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a late reply, Webb, but thanks so much for this great tip, I don't know why I never tried this when I do it with other flowers. Duh! xx

      Delete
  2. Olly and me stomped over Hayle Towans yesterday, and came across a bank of cowslips. They were wonderful. I may take your advice, and return to collect some seeds for my own garden.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you collected some seed - it works so brilliantly! :)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful flower photography and I love your new twig/lichen inspired pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cowslips too and have always longed to grow enough to make an old-fashioned cowslip ball. I have also popped over to your website and have fallen in love with your blackthorn bracelet. SO subtle and beautiful! Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I might have to make one blackthorn cuff for myself, I love it too! :)

      Delete
  5. oh how gorgeous your hellebores are. and I love your new designs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belated thanks, Tess, for your kind words! x

      Delete
  6. A beautiful spring post. Your ring and bracelet look lovely! Have a good Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, hope you are doing well? x

      Delete
  7. the woodland twig bracelets are going to vanish off to loving new homes, before you can blnk!

    ReplyDelete