December 16, 2015

Thoughts on finding a 'maker's voice'

When you make jewellery, in my case usually inspired by the natural forms and textures I find in my garden or the nature reserve on my doorstep, you find yourself in the often uncomfortable position of reworking shapes and objects like leaves and pebbles that thousands of other jewellers are also exploring in their own way. Hopefully as one's skills and vision grow, one begins to find a sort of 'maker's voice', a recognisable style and direction of one's own which slowly becomes signature. Over the Christmas break, I will continue to look through my collections and keep distilling them down to the key pieces which seem to best voice my personal view and love of botanical forms, those which have resulted from the most direct interactions and explorations of my local landscape, from my own sketches, photographs, flower pressing and so on.


Even with my more generic pieces like my stacking rings or dish set rings, there are many design choices I have made in order to keep my pieces inherently different and my own. For example, every dish set ring I make, whilst being a very common mount shape, is made using entirely unique- to-me ring shanks. For years, instead of using regular wire to make these rings, I use bands I originally carved out of wax - a skinny one, a bark textured one and a wide one, all with flat profiles to make stacking easier.

Every single dish set or stacking ring (apart from really big ones which very occasionally need to be made with wire formed to match) is made using one of these three unique bands. Each one has little irregularities of shape and texture that make them different and entirely 'Wild Acre'. I have always polished my pieces myself, with shiny or brushed finishes or some more rustic finishes using my own customised tools.





Tomorrow, I am pootling off to my local art suppliers and getting myself a new and lovely big sketchbook for 2016 - not just for drawing in, but as in my sketchbooks of previous years, for sticking in gorgeous meadowgrasses, hedgerow flowers and scraps of lichen and other lovely finds to inspire my work. This is where my focus is going to be this coming year, on the meadowy, watery landscape I am so lucky to live in and the small botanical wonders I find there. Seed heads, acorns, summer grasses - these sort of things may not be the most original of inspirations but they are the things I love, that I am surrounded by and which seem to call my name, so I am giving my creative energy to voicing with confidence the beauty I find here. Less worry about what others think, more focus on practising my drawing, photo taking and silversmith skills, more experimentation and play, so that voice can sing a bit more freely and less fearfully.


The year is drawing to a close after a fantastic few weeks of fairs and events and am so grateful for every customer, new and old, for every conversation about what I am trying to do, and for the lovely enthusiasm and support I have found - thank you so much to everyone who has supported my small business this year, I am so thankful. My webshop is shutting for a couple of weeks from this friday 18th December, but I look forward to re-opening in January, hopefully rested and rejuvenated and ready for the new year with new ideas and dreams beginning to bubble away! Wishing everyone a wonderful Christmas. xxx

10 comments:

  1. have a wonderful Christmas Belinda, and may the new year fill you with inspiration and joy x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas. Enjoy the walks, skies, fires and comforting food. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest and rejuvenate and be renewed for the new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remembering to rest is a big one, isn't it, but makes such a difference! Merry Christmas to you! x

      Delete
  4. I love your beautiful jewellery and learning what inspires you. Have a peaceful , Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year. XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, hope you have a really lovely Christmas too. x

      Delete
  5. I don't agree with artists needing to find 'their style'. I think it is self limiting and cramps creativity. An artist should be able to draw/create whatever they like and however they like without being tied to ways that make them recognisable. The same is true for authors who are often made to re write the same thing over and over, supposedly for the captured audience. The trouble is it gets boring and it is interesting to see the full scope of what any creative person can do. Branding is what kills creativity stone dead. I think you should be pleased with all the lovely things you make, without trying to label it in any way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your really interesting comment. I think my penultimate paragraph really chimes in with what you are saying - the need to just play and explore as a maker without worrying too much about what others think of your work? I suppose I am hoping not so much for a brand 'style' which sounds terrifyingly business-y to me, just an authentic, unfearful attempt to work with my inspirations in an authentic way that might end up creating an unique 'voice'. But I think you are right, actually, that in chasing originality one can become nervous and watchful and self conscious, scared that everything has already been done, and lacking in confidence to follow the heart? So thank you so much for making me think about that, I really appreciate it, and I will hold your advice in my mind - more play and creative discovery, less chasing a unique 'look' (whatever that is!).

      Delete